Can a person actually walk in the Spirit of holiness?
Holiness. It sounds like an unattainable and hard state-of-being. I used to agree that no one is holy, only God, however, according to the Bible, there are several ways in which we can walk in the Spirit of holiness. Here are five of them:
- Seek God’s Will and His Righteousness: The Bible teaches that we should seek God’s will in our lives and follow it. When we do this, we are able to walk in the Spirit of holiness and avoid sin. Romans 12:2 says, “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” This is the righteousness of God, to follow His will for our lives, to be in right standing with Him and obey Him.
- Follow the Commandments: Another way to walk in the Spirit of holiness is to follow God’s commandments. In John 14:15, Jesus says, “If you love me, keep my commands.” By following God’s commandments, we show our love for Him and are able to live a holy life. Do it for love’s sake knowing that you don’t have to do it alone. We can follow the commandments of the Lord with and through the in-filling of the Holy Spirit.
- Be Led by the Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is our guide and helper in living a holy life. Galatians 5:16 says, “So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.” When we allow the Holy Spirit to lead us, we are able to resist temptation and live in holiness.
- Put on the Armor of God: In Ephesians 6:11-18, the Bible teaches us to put on the full armor of God so that we can stand against the devil’s schemes. By doing this, we are able to resist temptation and walk in the Spirit of holiness.
- Surround Yourself with Other Believers: Finally, we are encouraged to surround ourselves with other believers who can encourage us in our walk with God. Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” When we have the support of other believers, we are able to stay strong in our faith and live a holy life.
Believe God and Be Holy
I hope these 5 simple actions help you continue on your faith journey. God wants you to live a blessed life, full of joy and peace. He promises to protect you and give you an abundant life. He lives among the praises of His people. Acknowledge Him in everything and He will acknowledge you. He remembers His children, those who are called by His name and His name, beloved, is Holy. You can be holy, by and through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. Believe God, seek Him, follow Him, and be led by the spirit. There is abundance of joy in Him!